Why is SkyBus welcoming the future Melbourne Airport Rail Link?
As Australia’s population grows, so does our need for more mass transit options.
SkyBus already transports around five million people, and keeps three million car trips off our roads every year.
We’re doing our part, but if we want to ease the ever-increasing congestion within our cities, we need a total transport solution to further lighten the load on our roads.
That’s why we are welcoming the future arrival of the Melbourne Airport Rail Link.
Meanwhile, we’ll continue expanding our services to wherever they are needed, and keeping cars off our busy roads today, tomorrow and well into the future. And it’s why we’re saying, when it comes to solving congestion, there’s room for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is SkyBus welcoming the airport rail link?
- SkyBus knows that people want options for getting to the airport, and with congestion an ever-present challenge we welcome the future Melbourne Airport Rail Link too.
- Will SkyBus still run a CBD to Melbourne Airport service when airport rail is built?
- Yes. We provide a level of service which will continue to be a valuable option that many people will want even after airport rail is delivered.
- That includes departures every 10 minutes (5 minutes during peak), express non stop services to the airport, comfortable seating, free WiFi, USB chargers, plenty of space for luggage, and our friendly drivers who are happy to help with your bags.
- Airport rail will help with congestion, but what impact does SkyBus have?
- SkyBus is doing its bit for congestion by keeping three million car trips off our busy roads every year.
- Last year alone we added a further 240 weekly trips to and from our airports, or 12,500 per year.
- And we don’t stop there. We are currently working on further service growth to meet the needs of our airports to connect more Victorians with the airport, and keep cars off our busy roads today, tomorrow and well into the future.
- Congestion is getting worse, so won’t that make SkyBus slower?
- With services every five to 10 minutes the next SkyBus is never far away, and we are constantly improving our service to give customers the best transit experience possible.
- Our average trip times between the CBD and the airport are between 20 and 30 minutes – a little longer during the busiest peak times.
- We need a total transport solution to deal with congestion, which ensures our trains, trams, taxis and rideshare, and buses all work together effectively.
- What do you mean by a total transport solution?
- We mean a comprehensive plan from government and other key transport infrastructure stakeholders that ensures our trains, trams, taxis and rideshare, and buses all work together effectively.
- SkyBus is working closely with all stakeholders to discuss the formation of a total transport solution.
- That includes improving access in and out of our airports, dedicated transit lanes at peak times, planning for mass public transport options such as buses in the construction of new roads and ensuring transport planning delivers efficient links between modes of transport.