Junipalooza: A celebration of gin
The time has come to bring out your inner posh British lady! For one weekend in October Melbourne hosts a very special gin-soaked festival. Get down to Junipalooza and sample some of Australia’s and the world’s finest gins, meet the makers and join in a masterclass.
Saturday October 22 – Sunday October 23
12pm – 6pm
Held at the Meat Market, 5 Blackwood Street Melbourne
$50 + booking fee
More info & tickets: www.ginfoundry.com/junipalooza-melbourne/
After a hugely successful couple of years in London, Junipalooza is expanding to the food and drink capital of Australia, and Melburnians are very thankful for it. The inaugural festival on Australian shores is the first for the Gin Foundry; hailing from the home of gin (London) the Gin Foundry is an organisation celebrating, promoting and reviewing the wonder that is gin. You can find out more about the Gin Foundry here.
Over one glorious weekend, Junipalooza showcases gin and the gin industry in spectacular fashion. From Europe they bring a fine selection of ‘ginsmiths’ (as well as their gins!) for you to meet, greet and of course drink with. Chat to Australian ginsmiths and learn about their craft and discover why the Australian gin industry is booming. Find out what processes and ingredients are involved in making gin. Sample different gin types and flavours with different mixers or in different cocktails. There is so much to see and do!
The weekend is also jam-packed with talks and masterclasses such as Understanding Australian Botanicals (an insight into discovering the differences between key gin ingredients in Australia), G&T Fever! (learn about the history behind one of the world’s most famous drinks) and Gin Styles (a guide on understanding gin styles and how to drink them). Aside from sampling and pairing gins, you might actually learn a thing or two in the process! The Gin Queen herself, Caroline Childerley, will be running these masterclasses. The self proclaimed ‘three parts woman, one part gin’ is an icon of the gin industry and is flying out from London especially. You can find out more about the Gin Queen here.
Some of the ginsmiths participating include:
- Four Pillars Distillery – Healesville VIC
- The West Winds Gin – Margaret River WA
- Canberra Distillery – ACT
- Archie Rose Distilling – Sydney NSW
- Poor Toms Gin – Sydney NSW
- 78 Degrees Gin – Adelaide Hills SA
- Shene Estate Distillery – Pontville TAS
- Bass & Flinders Distillery – Mornington Peninsula VIC
- Mt Uncle Distillery – Walkamin QLD
- Distillery Botanica – Central Coast NSW
- Lark Distillery – Hobart TAS
- Young Henrys Distillery – Sydney NSW
- William McHenry Distillery – Port Arthur TAS
- Hippocampus Distillery – Perth WA
- Animus Distillery – VIC
- Melbourne Gin Company – Gembrook VIC
- Artemis Gin – Melbourne VIC
- Youngs Gin – Swan Valley WA
- Sud Polaire – Hobart TAS
- Prohibition Liquor Company – Adelaide SA
- Yardarm Gin – Bobinawarrah VIC
- Broken Heart Spirits – Queenstown NZ
- Cardona Distillery – Wanaka NZ
- Rogue Society Gin – Auckland NZ
- Pinkster Gin – Cambridge UK
- Makar Glasgow Gin – Glasgow UK
- Jensens – London UK
- Dodd’s – London UK
A cocktail bar will be serving all day (there is free water on offer too) and there is ample opportunity to purchase gin from stalls. Please note there will be no tickets available at the door so make sure you get your tickets well before it opens! Junipalooza is the ideal way to spend a weekend for gin enthusiasts and gin novices alike; get amongst the gin fever this October!